If you want to learn how to apply basic ballet stage makeup in 10 steps, here’s a video tutorial by Carli Samuelson, corps de ballet with PNB (Pacific Northwest Ballet) with tips and insider secrets.
Here’s Carli’s process to ballet stage makeup in 10 steps:
- Start by applying basic foundation with a clean sponge on your face and neck. Make sure to blend it in well.
- Use lightly powder over foundation.
- Take pearly white eye powder and apply over eye-lid and under eyebrow to highlight.
- Darken eyebrows with brown eye shadow and on the crease of your eye-lid.
- Next, glue on false eye-lashes.
- Place blush under cheek bone and on jaw-line to define it.
- Use sparkle dust on the inner corner of your eye to open up area.
- Use liquid black eye-liner with a felt tip over top eye-lid and extent it out in wing shape.
- Add mascara on fake eye-lashes and lower lashes.
- Use lip primer to avoid smudges. Then apply red lipstick and blot it so it won’t stick to your teeth.
Carli is shown below getting ready to go on stage.
And voilà, you’re ready to go. This is The Nutcracker Ballet Stage Makeup in 10 steps. Anyone can do it.
I really liked her idea of using sparkly white powder in the corner of her eye. I have always used plain white crayon to draw a dot in the same area to open my eyes and avoid looking cross-eyed from a distance. Next time I dance I’ll give her make up technique a try!
What did you think of Carli’s video tutorial? Did it help you with stage makeup ideas? How do you apply your makeup before a performance? Tell us what was the most helpful piece of advice?
If you’re a dancer, why not share your own tips? Just click on Share below and tell us what works for you, other dancers and young ballet students will appreciate it.